- Saves Money-Reduces the cost of disposal fees for the City.
- Recycling conserves Natural Resources, such as Timber, Water and Minerals.
- Reduces Pollution by reducing the need to collect raw materials.
- Saves Energy – Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a TV for three hours, or the equivalent of a half gallon of gasoline.
- Reduces Greenhouse gas emissions.
- Helps sustain the environment for future generations.
- Helps create new jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries in the U.S.
- Recycling is MANDATORY- CT Law prohibits mixing recyclables and waste.
In Connecticut and in Shelton, recycling is the LAW. Every resident, every business (including non-profits), all public and private agencies, institutions such as colleges, hospitals, local and state government agencies, all must recycle.
And Remember, if you are not buying recycled products- you are not really recycling! Check package and product labels to see if they are made with recycled or recyclable materials.
Items Not to Include:
Plastic bags, Food waste, Used paper plates, Styrofoam, Foam egg cartons, Ice cream cartons, Dishes, Ceramics, Sporting goods, Electronics, Batteries, Hazardous chemical containers, Motor oil containers.
What can be put into the Recycling (BLUE) Cart?
When in doubt about what goes into your Blue Cart please call our Recycling Coordinator 203-924-1555 ext. 1370
*Note: All food containers must be empty, rinsed and free of food residue.
- Aluminum foil /Saran wrap boxes
- Books ( remove covers on HARD copy books)
- Cereal /Pasta boxes
- Corrugated Cardboard (cut in pieces to fit into cart)
- Cracker boxes (liner removed)
- Egg cartons (no foam cartons)
- File folders
- Junk Mail /Magazines
- Newspapers / Flyers
- Paper bags
- Paper towel /Toilet paper rolls
- Pizza Boxes (uncontaminated)
- Ream wrappers
- School papers
- Shredded paper (in paper bags only)
- Tissue boxes
- All numbered 1-7 Plastic containers
- Bottles (Caps left on or squeezed into bottle)
- Hard Plastics (toys, hangers, small appliances, CD cases)
- Jugs/ Tubs (microwave trays, yogurt, margarine, etc)
- Lids (only larger than 2” in diameter)
- Medicine bottles (script and over the counter)
- Six-Pack Rings
- Bottles & Jars
- (Clear, Green or Brown ONLY)
- Aerosol cans (empty)
- Aluminum foil (clean)
- Jar lids (only ones larger than 2” in diameter)
- Pots & Pans
- Scrap metal
- Small Appliances (toasters, irons, can openers, etc.)
- Tin & Aluminum Cans( with lids, only if still attached)
- Wire hangers