Community Development

Community Development Director: Charlene DeFilippo
Location: City Hall, First Floor, Room 105
Address: 54 Hill Street
City, State, Zip: Shelton, CT 06484
Telephone: (203) 924-1555 Ext. 374
Hours: Tuesday - Friday
8:00 AM - 5:30 PM

Veteran's Eagle 3-4-11 001


Community Development Office

The Community Development Office is responsible for identifying and securing funding resources to assist the City of Shelton in the provision of certain programs and services, more specifically in the areas of housing and community facilities. The Community Development Director applies for State and Federal grants for the purpose of rehabilitating residential, commercial, and public structures, as well as citywide revitalization projects, and then administers the allocation of these funds.

This office also oversees Shelton's Housing Rehabilitation Program, the Anti-Blight Program, the Neighborhood Assistance Tax Credit Program, and funding for the Local Capitol Improvement Program.

City of Shelton Housing Rehabilitation Program:


The City of Shelton has created the Residential Rehab Program to provide financial assistance to eligible property owners. The objective of the program is to provide safe and decent housing for our residents through the rehabilitation of existing structures.

The program is designed to eliminate code violations and unsafe conditions, increase energy efficiency, and improve the appearance of property. Code violations (fire codes, building codes, and unsafe conditions) are attended to first; aesthetics are attended to only if there are remaining funds. The program is also designed to benefit low and moderate-income occupants, as designated by State and Federal guidelines.

The target area for the program is Citywide. The City of Shelton offers this program as 0% interest loans to residential property owners. The maximum lending amount is $18,000 per unit. The loan is paid back to the City over a 10-year period, repaying 10% of the amount borrowed each year for 10 years.

All taxes must be paid up to date prior to applying.

Funding for this loan program is made possible to the City of Shelton by grant funding from the State of Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development (

The City of Shelton Housing Rehabilitation Program application and guidelines are available at the Community Development Office. Please contact us at 203-924-1555, Ext. 374 to discuss eligibility requirements, and we will be happy to provide you with an application package.

Anti-Blight Program:

If you are concerned that a particular property is blighted, please read the following information first to determine that the property fits the description of "blighted." If so, and you would like to report the property to the Community Development Office, please download and complete the Anti-Blight Complaint form on the following page.

Please include your name, address and phone number on the complaint form so we may contact you for additional information or to discuss our findings. Anonymous complaints are discouraged.

The form may be mailed to Charlene DeFilippo or Fred Wills at Shelton City Hall, 54 Hill Street, Shelton, CT, 06484 or sent electronically to

Charlene DeFilippo

Anti-Blight Information

In 1997, the City of Shelton Board of Aldermen instituted an Anti-Blight Ordinance, in order to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of Shelton. A blighted property includes any building or any part of a building or structure, or a parcel of land in which at least one (1) of the following conditions exist:

It is determined by the City Building Official, Zoning Enforcement Officer, Anti-Blight Officer or by Health Department reports that existing conditions pose a serious or immediate danger to the community, i.e. life-threatening condition or a condition that puts at risk the health or safety of the citizens of the City.

It is not being adequately maintained; the following factors may be considered in determining whether a structure or building is not being adequately maintained: missing or boarded windows or doors; collapsing or missing walls, roof, or floor; siding that is seriously damaged or missing; fire damages; a foundation that is structurally faulty; garbage, trash, rubbish, boxes, paper, plastic or refuse of any kind; old furniture, bedding, appliances or anything of the like, or abandoned cars, boats, or any motorized vehicle or other inoperable machinery situated on the premises or public right of way (unless the premise is a junkyard legally licensed by the State of Connecticut), rodent harborage and/or infestation, overgrown brush, shrubs or weeds (specifically excluding land which is farmland), dumpsters/steel storage containers on a non-construction site for a period exceeding ninety (90) days, unauthorized equipment on site (backhoes, bulldozers, dump trucks, etc.), stockpile of wood or stone for a period exceeding ninety (90) days, and unfinished exterior residential construction projects which shall include the installation of doors, windows, siding and roofing for a period exceeding ninety (90) days.

It has been cited for code violations as documented in the Office of Building Inspection and Enforcement, Housing Code Inspection, Zoning Enforcement Officer's and Anti-Blight Officer's reports.

It has become a place where criminal activity has taken place as documented by Police Department reports.

It is a fire hazard, as determined by the Fire Marshal.

It is creating a substantial and unreasonable interference with the reasonable and lawful use and enjoyment of other space within the building or of other premises within the neighborhood as documented by neighborhood complaints, or cancellation of insurance on proximate properties.

The following conditions do not constitute a blighted structure:

Structure needs to be painted

Grass needs to be cut

Unregistered vehicles on property (contact Planning & Zoning Enforcement Officer at (203) 924-1555 Ext. #351)

Thank you for helping to keep the City of Shelton a safe and beautiful place to live.

You can download these documents and print them on your local printer. These documents are .PDF (Portable Document Format) files requiring the use of the free Adobe Acrobat Reader© version 4.0 and above needed to read these files.

If you are a concerned about a property and would like to report it to the Community Development Office, please download and fill out the Anti-Blight form. Referrals to the appropriate department and a property investigation will follow.

icon Handbook (177.81 kB)

HomeGovernmentCommunity Development